There are two main Membership Types Annual and Anniversary. The variations of those such as Fixed Annual or Fixed Anniversary are explained on the Understanding Membership Models. We will not include here the Classic Magazine Subscription Model based on Folio, FolioCycle and Issues Per Year.
Annual and Anniversary
Annual is where the organisation renew all Members at a fixed month in a year. Anniversary is where Members are renewed on the anniversary of their payment or their previous membership expiry. The length of the Membership is governed by the value in SPAN YEARS. This is usually 1. Fixed Annual, Strict Annual and Fixed Anniversary make the renewal date the First Day of the Month or the Last Day of the Prior Month for the renewing member.
Vega stores key data in the Membership database. The Membership Model, the actual display name, Threshold is the payment amount, Collation controls where this Membership appears in the drop-down, Years Span is the number of Membership Years, Renewal Month is used in Annual Memberships only and GRACE MONTHS is the number of months prior to renewal that force a year rollover.
Example: I renew my membership in July 2020 with Fixed Annual Membership expiring in Dec-2020. Grace Months is 3. My Membership will renew to 30-Dec-2020.
If I renew in October/November or December my Membership will renew to 30-Dec-2021.
If I change Grace Months to 6 and I renew in July 2020, I will renew to 30-Dec-2021.
So GRACE MONTHS is IMPORTANT.
In the example above The Renewal Month is DECEMBER. The Span Years is 1. Look at GRACE MONTHS which is equal to ZERO.
GRACE MONTHS only applies to ANNUAL type memberships. It is not used in Anniversary Memberships.
Before we apply Membership rules we need to establish if the Member is NEW or RENEWING. If the person renewed last year (within 15 months) then they are renewed from their last expiry date. That means the payment date for renewal is ignored and the last membership expiry is the starting date. In all other cases, the start date for the Membership is the payment date.
So think of FIXED and STRICT as setting the Renewal Date to be the 1st of the Month in the calculated renewal month and year, while not being FIXED means the ACTUAL date is used.
If you are a Membership Organisation or manage subscriptions, you can activate this functionality in Vega to assist you.
- Go to the ‘Admin’ section (If you cannot see this on your main top menu bar, you may not have the authorisation to access it, and will need to seek permission from your System Administrator)
- Click ‘Memberships & Subscriptions’
- From the drop-down menu, select ‘No thanks’ or ‘Yes tell me more’ if your organisation requires membership management.
- Select your organisation’s Membership Model from the list available, if your model is different, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click the blue ‘Save changes’ button in the top right-hand corner.
- To add new members, click the blue ‘Add New Membership’ button
- You will see a pop-up box to ‘Add Member’
- Select the ‘Membership Model’ from the drop-down list, e.g. Annual, Anniversary etc.
- Enter ‘Membership Name’ (used in reports to identify this membership)
- Enter ‘Threshold’ which is the membership amount or the cost of the membership
- Enter ‘Collation’ number used to sort the list of Memberships
- Click the ‘Active’ tickbox to activate membership
- Click the blue ‘Save’ button
- You will receive a green message in the top right-hand corner to confirm ‘Membership is saved’
- Your new Membership has been added and will appear in the table on the Membership & Subscription screen as well as the Membership widget accordingly.
You can manage and report on your Memberships & Subscriptions in the reporting section in Vega or by using the Query tool.