All payment gateways require a fee for processing payments/donations. This can mean when a donor gives you $50, in reality, it might only be $48 when the fees have been removed.
Now vega has a feature that allows you to ask your donors if they would like to cover the gateway's processing fee!
If you are using this feature but a donor chooses not to cover your gateway's processing fee, the donor will only be charged for their donation.
To activate this feature, your organisation will need:
- A Vega-supported payment gateway set up in Vega.
- A Vega Donation widget, which processes online donations using your payment gateway.
- To know what your payment gateway fees are, contact your gateway for this information if you are unsure. Vega allows you to set a percentage and/or flat fee to cover your processing fee.
- Administrator security/permission level in Vega.
Once you have the above, you can set-up this feature for immediate use!
Configure your processing fee
1. Navigate to Admin > Payment Gateway. Here you will see your connected gateway (in the below screenshot the gateway is Stripe).
- The first box is for a percentage fee. In the screenshot below is an example showing 2.90% added. If you have a donation percentage as part of your processing fee, enter this here.
- The second box is for an amount/flat-fee. In the screenshot below is an example showing 30 cents added. If you have a donation flat-fee as part of your processing fee, enter this here.
Please note many gateways add a percentage and a flat-fee, so you can populate both boxes.
2. Click the blue Save changes button in the right-hand corner.
Configure your donation widget(s)
1. Go to Admin > New Widget Configuration
If you have multiple donation widgets, you will need to activate it for each widget - or just for those widgets, you would like to include this functionality.
Click the Edit button next to the required widget(s).
2. Click into the Financial section from the Configuration Options:
- Turn on the switch for Show Processing Fee.
- Assign a GL code to the processing fee. This will distribute the fee to a different GL than the donation.
3. Click the blue Save button in the right-hand corner. If you refresh and enter a donation amount into the preview, you'll see the box appear with the calculation based on your processing fee configuration: