There are a variety of ways to add payments to a contact. If you're using widgets or the API then vega will automatically process the online payment, including contact matching, receipting, and inserting the payment into the appropriate contact.
Adding a payment
Find the contact you are adding a payment to and click 'Add Payment' from the top button options:
This will open the payment form:
You will notice the payment form is divided into sections, as described below.
On the left-hand side, you will see important Contact Details:
- Vega ID, Account Name, Email, First Name, Last Name, Salutation, Organisation
- Home phone, work phone, mobile
- Contact Branch, receipt option
- Key Attributes (if you have this turned on in your financial settings)
- Alert (if you have this turned on in your financial settings)
On the left-hand side at the bottom will be any Payment Attributes. You will automatically have the Contact Branch added here and drop-down lists to add any other applicable payment attributes and assign a value to these.
Payments processed by a widget will have a Website Log ID attribute added, with the value showing the unique vega donation log ID of the payment. They will also have a Gateway Reference attribute added, with the value showing the unique reference from your gateway. This reference will differ between gateways and is not the same as the token ID.
The middle section of this form is where the payment information is added:
For the purpose of adding a standard individual payment, we will use the default selection of standard for the payment type. Please see the linked articles for further detail on the other options available.
- Standard: This is the default option for one-off payments. No further information is required.
- Membership: This option is available if memberships have been set up in vega. It allows for membership payments to be processed by selecting the membership type.
- Pledge: Pledge payments are for recording promised or pledged amounts to be paid at a later date.
- Pledge Fulfilment: This is used to record a payment against a pledge.
- Invoice: Like Pledges, invoices are not recorded as payments until the invoice has been paid but this does allow you to record that an invoice has been issued.
- In-Memorium: This allows for payments to be recorded in memory of another individual within vega. Details of in memoriam payments can be included in documents through the use of merge tags.
- Supporter-led Fundraising: This option will allow a payment to be recorded as fundraised by another contact in Vega and will also show on their payments.
- Pay Type- Cheque, Credit Card etc. Each of these different types will require different details to be completed as per the method of payment.
- If you have a payment gateway setup in vega, you can choose the credit card pay type to process payments directly through this screen.
- Total Amount- Add the total payment amount.
This is where you have the option to split your total payment into different distributions to allocate funds to different campaigns and/or GL codes and issue a different document for each one. This can be used to split a payment between different projects, fundraising for different items, etc.
Adding a single distribution
If you are adding a payment to be allocated with the same financial and receipting details for the full amount then you can simply select the relevant Campaign and GL Code, choose your receipt settings on the right-hand side and click Save.
Adding multiple distributions
Alternatively, you can divide your total payment into multiple distributions. As an example, this can be used to record one transaction from a major donor who is donating to two projects.
Please note- A payment with multiple distributions will still be created as the same transaction ID and have the same receipt number.
Please see the recording below for how you can add multiple distributions to your payment:
On the top right-hand side, we can record a note or comment related to the transaction in the Pay Details.
- Pay Date- The date the transaction is made.
- Receipt Date- The date the transaction is receipted, usually today's date.
- Receipt Type- This is the document to be issued in acknowledgment of the total payment. The documents displayed in this dropdown can be customised in your Admin settings.
- Send By- This is the method used to send the receipt for the total payment:
- PDF: This is used to send a printed receipt and shows the option to Download Receipt, this will generate it as a PDF file.
- Email: This is used to automatically send the document via email to the preferred email address on the contact dashboard.
- If processing the payment through your payment gateway, save the payment before sending a receipt to ensure this has been a successful transaction.
- Particulars- Additional information on the payment.
- Code- Additional information on the payment.
- Reference- Additional information on the payment.
- Receipt No- This will be generated when the payment is saved, based on your receipt settings under Admin. There is the option to manually add a receipt number when one has not been generated or to Reset the receipt number once it has. These actions cannot be undone.
Click Save when you are happy that all information entered is correct for this payment.
View your payment
After clicking save, your transaction will now be recorded on the Payments & Recurring tab of the contact.
The above screenshot shows how a single distribution payment and multi-distribution payment will be displayed.
Your grid may differ slightly by the column headers displayed, Reference, Gift From, In-Memoriam, Fundraiser, Team, Annual Receipt No, Annual Receipt Date, and Pledge ID will only be shown if there is data available for these in this contact's payments.
You can click the rows in this grid to open the payment and changes can be made when needed.